Mediacom Communications Selects CommScope to Power Groundbreaking 10G Trial
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200922005302/en/
Mediacom Communications Selects CommScope to Power Groundbreaking 10G Trial (Graphic: Business Wire)
Mediacom is conducting the trial in partnership with CableLabs® and
10G trial tests cutting-edge smart home applications in real world conditions
The groundbreaking 10G trial will allow Mediacom, CableLabs, and NCTA to evaluate the capacity of Mediacom’s 10G platform in supporting future home automation, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), gaming, holographic display, and consumer applications in a real-world environment.
Mediacom will also use the 10G smart home as a working technology laboratory to test these demanding applications. Insights from the trial will inform Mediacom’s 10G strategy as it works towards expanding its existing fiber-rich network to include the delivery of symmetrical residential internet speeds ten times faster than its current 1 Gbps offerings, as well as improve its network’s latency, reliability, and security.
“CommScope was one of our key partners as we built the platform for our 10G trial,” said JR Walden, CTO at Mediacom. “With CommScope, we were able to secure all the headend, IP network, outside plant, and customer premises solutions we needed to deploy an end-to-end network able to support our 10G smart home of the future.”
Smart home of the future features dozens of IoT devices and services
Mediacom’s 10G end-to-end network delivers ultrafast ~2.4Gbps downstream connectivity as well as ~1.3Gbps upstream connectivity to more than 70 smart devices throughout the trial home. The service is passed over both wired Ethernet connections and wireless Wi-Fi6 connections within the homes. These devices included a smart refrigerator, cleaning robots, security cameras, 8K TV, VR and AR headsets, pet feeder, and more.
An ultrafast, low-latency, end-to-end network
These solutions include:
- Video Unified Edge (VUE), a suite of modular headend software used for network virtualization and to transmit viewing guide, emergency information, and other data to customers.
- vManager, a suite of microservices for facilitating deployment, configuration, and management of DAA networks.
- E6000 Converged Edge Router (CER), provides the CCAP Core functionality by converging all of Mediacom’s services (video, high-speed data, and voice) prior to forwarding them over digital optics to the Remote PHY Devices (RPDs) in the fiber nodes, enabling Mediacom to use DOCSIS 3.1 in both the downstream and upstream to provide more bandwidth to its subscribers.
- OM6000 Opti Max Optical Nodes, in combination with E6000n Remote PHY Devices (RPDs), enable Mediacom to deploy a DAA to extend the digital portion of their headend out to the fiber optic node to improve end-of-line performance, increase spectral efficiency, and enable more bandwidth to Mediacom subscribers.
- Touchstone TG9452 Telephony Wireless Wi-Fi 6 Gateways, which connect all IP capable devices in the Mediacom 10G smart home and its 10G trial participants’ homes to Mediacom’s high-performance broadband network.
“Mediacom’s 10G trial demonstrates that cable companies can build 10G platforms capable of providing the fast, symmetrical internet speeds, ultra-low latency, and high reliability needed for the smart home of the future,” said
All product names, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
This press release includes forward-looking statements that are based on information currently available to management, management’s beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, which could cause the actual results to differ materially from those currently expected. In providing forward-looking statements, the company does not intend, and is not undertaking any obligation or duty, to update these statements as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
News Media Contact:
+1-215-323-1059 or firstname.lastname@example.org